Matzo Ball Soup
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup seltzer
- 1/4 cup oil
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, seltzer, oil, salt and pepper. Combine well.
- Add the matzo meal and stir thoroughly. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to a boil.
- Moisten palms with cold water and form matzo mixture into 16 (1 inch) balls.
- Carefully drop into boiling water and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer covered until the matzo balls are cooked and puffed, about 30 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.
- In a large sauce pan, bring chicken broth, diced onion, sliced carrots and sliced celery to a boil.
- Lower heat and add matzo balls and cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.