Matzo Ball Soup
|4 large eggs, beaten|
|1/4 cup seltzer|
|1/4 cup oil|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 cup matzo meal|
|8 cups chicken broth|
|1 onion, diced|
|2 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds|
|2 stalks celery, sliced|
This is a traditional Jewish recipe that is served over Passover. It’s warm and delicious.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, seltzer, oil, salt, and pepper. Combine well.
- Add the matzo meal and stir thoroughly. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to a boil.
- Moisten palms with cold water and form matzo mixture into 16 (1 inch) balls.
- Carefully drop into boiling water and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer covered until the matzo balls are cooked and puffed, about 30 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.
- In a large saucepan, bring chicken broth, diced onion, sliced carrots, and sliced celery to a boil.
- Lower heat and add matzo balls and cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.