The Perfect Pizza Dough
|1 pkg of fast rising yeast|
|1 cup warm water|
|3 cups all purpose flour|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|1 tbs olive oil|
|1 tsp sugar|
Yes, you can make your own pizza at home. The recipe for the dough is very simple, but you must have a pizza stone for your oven in order to get that crispy crust that so many of us crave, and you need a pizza paddle to add the dough to the oven as well as to remove the pizza once it is done. These are very small investments for a lifetime of perfect pizza. Remember the secret to a good pizza is the crust!
- Add the sugar to lukewarm water and mix.
- Add dry yeast to water and stir to mix well
- Let yeast mixture rest until it begins to foam
- In the meantime sift the salt and flour together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the yeast mixture and olive oil to the flour..
- Mix with a wooden spoon until a fairly loose mass begins to form
- Flour your hands and knead the dough for 15 or twenty times.
- Form the dough into a ball and cover it with either and towel or a bowl.
- Let sit for 2 hours. the dough will more than double in size.
- Punch down the dough and knead for a few more times and cover or place under a bowl again.
- Let dough rise for another 2 hours.
- Once dough has risen for a second time..remove it, punch down.
- At this point we prefer to refrigerate dough overnight. However you may use right away if desired. (overnight refrigeration is best)
- Separate the dough into several pieces and gently form in into a round shape, by stretching and pulling gently.
- Don’t worry if it is not perfectly round.. Your goal is to get the dough as thin as possible without tearing it.
- Place a thin coating of flour or corn meal on your pizza paddle and add the pizza dough.
- Add you preferred toppings and using a quick hand slide the pizza on to the pizza stone.
- You will want to cook your pizza at the highest temperature on your oven, which is probably 500 degrees.
- It will only take 5 to 12 minutes at most to cook the pizza at 500 degrees.
- Remove pizza from oven and serve at once.