Rutabaga Turnip Parsnip and Potato Soup
|2 large onions, chopped|
|2 tbs butter|
|2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped|
|1 cup rutabaga, peeled and chopped|
|3/4 turnip, chopped|
|3/4 cup parsnips, peeled and chopped|
|1 cup potatoes, peeled and chopped|
|4 plus cups vegetable stock|
|1/2 tsp ground nutmeg|
|Kosher salt and cracked black pepper|
|4 tbs vegetables|
|1/2 cup heavy cream|
- Add butter to a large saucepan, then add the onion, carrots, rutabaga, turnip, parsnips and potatoes.
- Cover and cook gently for about 10 minutes without browning, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock and season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil inn a large skillet.
- Add the onions and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently until golden brown.
- Remove the onions with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels.
- Pour the cooled soup in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Return to a cleaned pan, adjust the seasoning, then pour in the cream.
- Gently reheat and top with the onions.
- Serve with crusty bread.