Curried Parsnip Soup
|1 tsp cumin seeds|
|2 tsp coriander seeds|
|1 tsp oil|
|1 onion, chopped|
|2 garlic cloves, chopped|
|1/4 tsp turmeric|
|1/4 tsp chili powder|
|1 cinnamon stick|
|2 cups parsnips, peeled and chopped|
|4 cups vegetable stock|
|Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste|
|Cilantro leaves, for garnish|
|3 tbs plain Greek yogurt|
- In a skillet, fry the cumin and coriander seeds over moderately high heat for 1-2 minutes, until the seeds are lightly toasted.
- Set aside until cooled, then grind toasted seeds with a mortar and pestle.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, then cook the onion and cook until they start to turn golden.
- Add the garlic, turmeric, chili powder, and cinnamon stick and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the parsnips and stir well.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the parsnips are cooked.
- Let the soup cool, then remove the cinnamon stick and discard.
- Blend the soup in a food processor until smooth.
- Transfer to a saucepan and reheat gently.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and yogurt.