|1/2 lb breakfast sausage|
|1 stick unsalted butter|
|1/2 cup flour|
|6 cups whole milk|
|1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes|
|kosher and black pepper to taste|
This gravy is perfect draped over chicken fried steak or fresh biscuits.
- Cook the sausage in a medium skillet over medium heat, breaking up into small pieces with the back of a spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside on a paper towel to drain.
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add flour, stir until pale yellow, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, reduce heat to medium, continue to whisk until thick, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the drained sausage and red pepper flakes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.