Southern Buttermilk Hush Puppies
|1 cup buttermilk|
|1 large egg|
|1 small onion, minced|
|1 2/3 cups self rising corn meal|
|1/2 cup ap flour|
|1/4 cup sugar|
|1/2 tsp baking powder|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
- Heat oil to 350 degrees in a deep fryer.
- Beat buttermilk, egg, and onion in a large bowl until well blended.
- Stir in the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, and mix well.
- Drop mixture by rounded tablespoon into oil.
- Fry 4-6 minutes, turning once.
- Drain on a wire rack or on paper towels. ( a wire rack is better)