Spicy Ethiopian Yellow Split Pea Butternut Squash and Potato Stew
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 and 1/2 cups Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups dry yellow split peas
- 1 tbs Berbere Seasoning or Cayenne
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
This is a spicy Ethiopian staple. It uses the Ethiopian go to berbere seasoning which is available at many specialty spice stores or at Amazon. If you can’t find berbere use cayenne.
- Rinse and sort peas.
- Peel and cut the potato and squash into 1 inch cubes.
- In a large pot add the coconut oil and using medium heat saute the onion, garlic and ginger until the onion is almost transparent. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add the berbere and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the squash, potatoes, split peas and vegetable stock or water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook partially covered for about 1 hour our until split peas are softened and broken down almost completely, and the potatoes and squash are cooked through.
- Serve over rice.