- 1 egg plant, unpeeled cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup pimento stuffed olives, halved
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 3 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbs capers
Classic recipe in Sicilian culture, this recipe sings the flavor songs of Sicily. It contains, egg plant, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, pimento and other spices.
- In a large sauce pan combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Cook over low heat, uncovered for about an hour, stirring occasionally until mixture is soft and all liquid has cooked away.
- Cool then refrigerate.
- Serve as a salad or relish.