This is the classic recipe for lightly battered Japanese Tempura. It is traditionally used for seafood and vegetables. Serves 6 to 8.
- 1 lb large shrimp, shelled and deveined, tails on
- 1 lb assorted vegetables such as asparagus spears, parsley, sweet potatoes, spinach, mushrooms and green beans, cut into bite sized pieces.
- Canola oil
- 1 cup sifted all purpose flour
- 1 cup ice water
- 1 slightly beaten eggs
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- Tempura condiments and or Asian dipping sauce (use our search engine for recipe)
- Wash and dry shrimp and vegetables well.
- Slice vegetables into bite size pieces.
- Fill large sauce pan or deep fryer half way with canola oil and heat to 360 degrees.
- To make batter combine flour, ice water, egg and 2 tbs of canola oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Beat batter just till moistened (a few lumps should remain.
- Stir in one or two ice cubes. Use at once.
- Dip shrimp and vegetables in cold batter.
- Fry in hot oil till light brown. Drain.
Classic Tempura Condiments:
- Asian dipping sauce (use search engine for recipe)
- Grated fresh ginger
- Equal parts grated turnip and radish combined
- 12 cup prepared mustard mixed with 3 tbs soy sauce