Orange Date Nut Bread
- 1 large orange
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
This is a sweet loaf that is perfect served with coffee or tea.
- Grate orange rind.
- Squeeze juice from orange and combine with enough boiling water to equal 1 cup.
- Pour into a bowl and add rind and dates.
- Stir in baking soda, sugar, butter, vanilla and egg.
- Sift together flour, baking power and salt.
- Add to mixture, beating thoroughly.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Spoon mixture into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50 minutes.
- Cool completely before removing from pan.