French Brandade (Salt Cod with Mashed Potatoes)
- 1/2 lb of salt cod. Soaked in cold water for 24 hours. With water changed 3 to 4 times.
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
This a wonderful traditional recipe made with salt cod from Provence in France.
- Soak cod in a large bowl of water for 24 hours, changing the water 4 o 5 times.
- In a sauce pan, bring cream, garlic, bay leaf, thyme and cloves to a gentle simer for 6 to 8 minutes, until garlic is just tender.
- Remove bay leaf from cream and discard it.
- Process the cream in a blender until garlic is completely pureed.
- Drain the cod and discard the soaking water.
- In a separate sauce pan, cover the cod with water and bring to a simmer.
- Drain the cod and add it along with the garlic cream and mashed potatoes, to an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle.
- Mix on low speed for 2 minutes, or until the mixture is well combined.
- Beat for an additional 30 seconds, adding the olive in a slow stream.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve atop crusty bread.