Fried Calamari Romana
- 1 lb of cleaned small squid hoods
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp black pepper
- canola oil for deep frying
- lemon wedges for serving
- Cut the squid into 1/2 inch wide rings,
- Combine the squid rings with the salt and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Remove squid from refrigerator the dry with paper towels.
- Combine the flour and pepper in a bowl.
- Fill a heavy bottomed sauce pan or a deep fryer 1/3 full with oil. Heat to 350 degrees.
- Flour the squid rings, removing excess flour.
- Drop squid in hot oil in batches and cook for about 3 minutes or until squid is golden and crispy. Do not over cook.
- Drain on a wire mesh rack.
- Serve with lemon wedges.