Wilted Spinach Salad
- 1 lb baby spinach
- 1 and 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 4 tbs red wine vinegar
- 4 tbs water
- 4 tsp confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 8 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 hard boiled eggs, coarsely grated
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Remove any stalks from the spinach leaves and wash well. Dry in a salad spinner and place in a large bowl.
- Heat the oil in an frying pan and cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. Chop the bacon and set aside.
- Reserve the cooking fat in the pan.
- Combine the vinegar, water, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl and stir until smooth and blended.
- Add the vinegar mixture to the fat in the frying pan and stir to mix.
- Bring the dressing to a boil over a medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Pour the hot dressing evenly over the spinach leaves, sprinkle the bacon, spring onions, radishes and eggs over, toss then serve.