- 2 and 1/2 cups chopped ginger and peeled ginger root
- lemon peel from 1 lemon, excluding pith
- 1 and 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 quarts chilled club soda or sparkling water
- Place ginger, lemon peel and 5-5 cups of water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10-12 minutes.
- Add sugar and while stirring to dissolve sugar continue to cook for another 15 minutes or until liquid has reduced to about 3 cups.
- Strain liquid through a wire mesh strainer into a large pitcher. Discard the solids.
- Cool the syrup and pour into a large glass jar, seal tightly and chill.
- For each 1 oz serving, mix 1/4 cup of the ginger syrup with 1 cup cold club soda or sparkling water and pour over ice cubes and garnish with mint leaves and or lemon slices.