Corn Cakes with Tomato and Basil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup of tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Whisk flour, milk, eggs, 1 tbs oil, baking powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Stir in corn, tomatoes and basil and gently combine well.
- Brush a non-stick skillet lightly with oil.
- Heat over medium heat until hot, but not smoking
- Cook cakes in batches, using 1/4 cup of batter for each cake.
- Pour the batter on the skillet, (batter will be very thick) and pat down with the back of a spoon.
- Cook each cake until edges are dry, about 2 minutes.
- Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on the other side, 1-3 minutes more.