- 8 dried arbol chilies, stemmed
- 3 tbs extras virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs kosher salt
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 tbs five spice powder
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 bay leaves, crumbled
The Peri Peri pepper originates in Africa. It is very hard to come by in the USA so we have substituted arbol chilies which have a similar flavor. The sauce can be used as a hot sauce strait out of the bottle or it can be used as a marinade for chicken, beef, pork or seafood.
- Process the Chilies, oil, salt, garlic, tomato paste, shallot, sugar, paprika, five spice powder, lemon zest and juice, pepper, cayenne and bay leaves in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Taste the paste, and if you would like it hotter add more chilies and process until smooth.
- Place sauce in a jar with a tight fitting lid and refrigerate until ready to use.