- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup sofrito (onion, green pepper, cilantro, celery)
- 1 (10 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 (15 oz ) can pigeon peas, drained and rinsed
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped, optional
- 2-3 tbs fresh parsley chopped
This is a classic Caribbean recipe.
- Heat oil in a pot over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot add the sofrito and rice and stir to combine.
- Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste and mix well.
- Pour in the water, peas and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer covered for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in parsley before serving.
- If you like it spicy add a little hot pepper to the sofrito before cooking.