- 2 tbs corn oil
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- generous pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 and 1/4 lbs ripe roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2-3 canned chipoltes in adobo sauce, minced
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
This is a spicy fresh tomato sauce that can used draped over meats, poultry or fish. Use the ripest tomatoes that you can find.
- Add the oil to a sauce pan over low heat, then add the onions, garlic, oregano, cumin and cinnamon and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomatoes, broth and chipolatas and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer, partially covered for about 20 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for another 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Cool then add the sauce to a food processor and pulse several times until combined but still slightly chunky.