Low Country She Crab Soup
|5 tbs unsalted butter|
|1/2 cup diced celery|
|2/3 tsp mace|
|1/4 tsp white pepper|
|3 and 1/2 cups of milk|
|1/2 cup shrimp or chicken stock|
|5 tbs flour|
|2 cups crab meat|
|crab roe for garnish (or salmon caviar) (optional)|
|1 cup heavy cream|
|1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce|
|2 tsp paprika|
|2 tbs of sherry|
|2tbs of parsley chopped for garnish(curly or Italian)|
She crab soup is a Charleston/Low Country classic. It is made with female blue crabs using the sweet somewhat fattier meat and the orange hued crab eggs that add both color and flavor to the soup. If female blue crabs are not available in your area.You may use any good quality crab meat and substitute orange salmon caviar as your garnish.
- Heat the butter in a large sauce pan. add the celery, mace, and white pepper. cook over low heat until celery softens.
- While celery is cooking, heat the milk and chicken stock in a small pan just enough to make the milk hot without boiling.
- When the celery mix is done, add the flour to make a roux. Do not brown, but heat the mixture enough to bubble for several minutes.
- Slowly add the milk and chicken stock to the roux. Add salt to taste.
- Add crab meat and heavy cream, Worcestershire, and sherry.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency.
- Serve garnished with crab eggs or salmon caviar and parsley.