African Lamb and Peanut Stew
- 2 lbs of lean lamb
- 3 tbs of curry powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 large onion minced
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 red pepper seed and chopped
- 1 red or green Thai chili minced
- 1 lb of sweet potato chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 14 oz can of chopped tomatoes with sauce
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tbs of crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tbs of lemon juice
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 2 ribs of celery chopped
- Kosher or sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
This stew has flavors reminiscent of the Caribbean and East India, but it’s roots are from sub-Saharan Africa. It is full of rich deep spicy flavors.This recipe is written for use in a crock pot.
- Trim the lamb of any fat and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Put the lamb in a large bowl and sprinkle over the curry powder salt and cracked black pepper, oregano and cayenne pepper.
- Toss well to coat the lamb
- Add the remaining ingredients to the lamb except for the peanut butter, lemon juice and coconut milk and the peas..
- Place the ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours.(always check directions on your slow cooker)
- Combine the peanut butter coconut milk and lemon juice along with the peas and reserve for the last 30 minutes of cooking.