African Lamb and Peanut Stew
|2 lbs of lean lamb|
|3 tbs of curry powder|
|1 tsp oregano|
|1 tsp cayenne pepper|
|1 large onion minced|
|1 large carrot chopped|
|1 red pepper seed and chopped|
|1 red or green Thai chili minced|
|1 lb of sweet potato chopped into 1 inch cubes|
|1 14 oz can of chopped tomatoes with sauce|
|4 garlic cloves minced|
|2 bay leaves|
|4 tbs of crunchy peanut butter|
|1 tbs of lemon juice|
|1 can of coconut milk|
|1 cup of frozen peas|
|2 ribs of celery chopped|
|Kosher or sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste|
This stew has flavors reminiscent of the Caribbean and East India, but it’s roots are from sub-Saharan Africa. It is full of rich deep spicy flavors.This recipe is written for use in a crock pot.
- Trim the lamb of any fat and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Put the lamb in a large bowl and sprinkle over the curry powder salt and cracked black pepper, oregano and cayenne pepper.
- Toss well to coat the lamb
- Add the remaining ingredients to the lamb except for the peanut butter, lemon juice and coconut milk and the peas..
- Place the ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours.(always check directions on your slow cooker)
- Combine the peanut butter coconut milk and lemon juice along with the peas and reserve for the last 30 minutes of cooking.