- 1 oz canned cream coconut milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 piece of lemon grass split (available in Asian supermarkets)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pieces of dried galangal (see note)
- 2 cups basmati rice
I have spent a lot of time in the Caribbean and the interesting thing that all of the islands are melting pots of flavors from around the world. You can find variations of this rice dish all around the world.
Note: Galangal is also known as Laos ginger. It is creamy and white fleshed and available in asian markets. You may substitute regular ginger if necessary.
- Put all the ingredients , except the rice in a heavy-based sauce pan with 1 and 1/2 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, add the rice, stir, reduce heat, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. About 15 minutes.
- Uncover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.