- 1 lb of lump crab meat picked over (you may also use king or Snow crab meat)
- 2 tbs of butter
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 1 tbs of chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Kosher or sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 and 1/2 cups of fresh bread crumbs
- 1 egg beaten
- Canola oil for shallow frying
These crab cakes are wonderful with this spicy chili and ginger dressing. The salad greens are the perfect foil. This recipe will serve 6 and can be prepared start to finish in about 45 minutes.
- 1/4 pound of julienne carrots
- 1 small bunch of chives
- 1 handful of watercress
- 1 handful of mixed salad greens
Chili and Ginger Dressing:
- 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 scallion
- 1 hot green Thai bird chili chopped
- 6 tbs of canola oil
- 2 tsp of honey
- 1 tsp of cider vinegar
- Kosher or sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan and stir in the flour.
- Cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the milk until the mixture is very thick 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and fold in the crab meat cilantro, lemon juice, seasoning and 2/3 cup of bread crumbs. Let cool.
- Using floured hands, divide the crab mixture into 12 equal portions and shape into patties.
- Dip into beaten egg and coat with the remaining bread crumbs. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and lightly fry the crab cakes in batches until golden of both sides.
- Place the ingredients for the salad artfully on an platter.
- Peel and mince the ginger, scallion and chili.
- Whisk together the oil, honey and vinegar until evenly blended.
- Add the chopped ginger, scallion and chili. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad greens and place crab cakes on top.