Pears in Red Wine
|4 large firm Comice pears|
|3 tbs of blanched split almonds (blanched in boiling water for 3 minutes)|
|5 tbs of super fine sugar|
|1 and 1/2 cups of red wine|
This is a recipe that we learned from Chef Jacques Pepin..It is a wonderful quick and easy desert that marries the wonderful crisp flavor of the pears with red wine. S
- Peel the pears, leaving the stems attached. Spike the pears with the almonds.
- Put the sugar, wine and cloves in a sauce pan just large enough to hold the pears and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the pears, standing them them upright in the pan.
- Cover and simmer gently until the pears are just tender, 15 to 20 minutes, basting them occasionally with the liquid.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pears to a serving dish.
- Boll the liquid remaining in the pan, reducing by half,
- Pour the liquid over the pears.
- Serve hot or cold with thick yogurt or cream.