Buttermilk Marinated Fried Green Tomatoes
- 4 green tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup butter milk
- 1 cup corn flour(meal)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbs chopped parsley, until
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Canola oil for frying
This southern classic is kicked up with spices and a dip in buttermilk. The best way to get green tomatoes is to either grow them yourself or at a farmers market. They are also available through online sources all year long.
- Slice the tomatoes into thick slices.
- Place the cornmeal in a shallow dish and season with the cayenne, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Place the butter milk in a bowl and add the tomatoes, coating thoroughly and let soak for several minutes.
- Toss the tomatoes in the cornmeal mixture and coat well.
- Place the coated tomatoes in the refrigerator for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Heat the canola oil in a saute pan (about 1 inch).
- Fry the tomatoes in batches using medium to medium high heat for about 3 minutes on each side, until lightly golden.
- Recipe may be doubled or tripled.