|1 lb dried great northern beans|
|1 yellow onion, whole|
|1 yellow onion, chopped|
|4 whole cloves|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 carrot, peeled and sliced|
|1/2 cup parsley, chopped|
|1/2 lb sausage meat|
|1/2 pound polish type sausage, sliced|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|1/2 cup dry white wine|
|2 cups chicken stock (use our search engine for chicken stock recipe)|
|1/2 pound peeled Italian type tomatoes with sauce (we like the Cento brand)|
|1 tsp dried basil|
|1 tsp dried thyme|
|1/2 lb cut up pork|
|4 duck confit legs or pieces (can be purchased at Whole 'Foods or your local butcher. You may alternatively use chicken legs or thighs)|
|1/4 cup unsalted butter|
|1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs|
- Soak beans overnight. Drain.
- Place beans in large stock pot with 2 quarts of chicken stock.
- Stick 2 loves in each end of the onion and add the onion. carrot and parsley to the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours or until the beans are tender..
- Drain beans, discard onion and reserve the bean stock. About 2 cups.
- In a large saute pan brown sausage meat and sausage slices. Remove pan and set aside.
- Pour out all but 1 tbs fat from the pan.
- Add chopped onion and garlic, and saute until soft.
- De-glaze pan with white wine, then add tomatoes and sauce, reserved bean stock, basil and thyme.
- Re-season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer gently for about 20 minutes. You will have about 2 and 1//2 cups of sauce.
- In a deep casserole, alternate layers of beans, meat, sausage and duck (or chicken)
- Pour sauce into casserole.
- In a saute pan melt butter, add the bread crumbs, 1/4 cup parsley and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Place bread crumb mixture on top of casserole.
- Cover and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 1 hour.
- Remove cover for last 10 to 15 minutes of baking in order to brown bread crumbs.