Homemade Fish Cakes
Once you taste these fresh fish cakes, you will never ever eat another frozen fish stick or any other kind of frozen fish!
- 2 lbs (4 cups) of minced boneless and skinless cod or haddock
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1 cup of mashed potatoes
- 2 tbs of canola oil
- 4 tsp chopped parsley
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 beaten egg
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs or cracker meal
- Canola oil for frying
- Heat 2 tbs of canola oil in a saute pan and saute onions for about 2 minutes.
- Cool then add the cod or haddock, potato, parsley, lemon zest, juice and seasoning, and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and with moistened hands shape into patties.
- Dip each fish cake into the beaten egg and then into the breadcrumbs or cracker meal, and coat thoroughly.
- Heat about 2 inches on canola oil in a saute pan and fry the fish cakes, turning once, until golden brown on both sides
- Drain on paper towels
- Serve with a crisp salad and white wine.