Indian Lentil and Lamb Curry
|1/4 cup of red lentils|
|4 shallots, diced|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|2 tbs ground coriander|
|1 tsp fenugreek seeds|
|1 tsp black mustard seeds|
|1 tsp ground cumin|
|2 tsp tumeric|
|2 cups of vegetable stock|
|3 tbs canola oil|
|1/2 cup plain yogurt|
|Kosher or sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
|1 lb lamb, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|fresh cilantro for garnish|
|1/2 pound of cherry tomatoes, halved|
This is delightful Indian curry sauce made with lentils. If you prefer it spicier just add a Serrano pepper, seeds and all. You may serve over rice or vegetables or as a dip with crusty bread or corn chips.
Health Tip: Hearty lentils are delicious and nutritious: a half cup offers 3.3 mg of iron and 115 calories. They are consider one of the major super foods that build muscle. Read more: The Daily Green
- In a large sauce pan add the canola oil using medium heat.
- Add the onions and shallots and saute until tender. about 3 minutes.
- Add the lamb and brown on all sides.
- Add the spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Cook for another 30 minutes until the lamb is cooked through and the lentils are tender.
- Add the tomatoes during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the yogurt and cook gently for about 2 minutes.