- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 quarts of chicken stock (use our search engine for chicken stock recipe)
- Juice of 2 limes
This is traditional Indian soup. The soup may be made thicker by using less stock. Also if it is left un-pureed, with pieces of cooked chicken added to it. It may be served as a kind of stew over rice.
- Soak lentils overnight in enough water to cover.
- In a large pot using low heat, melt butter and add onion, garlic, cumin, red pepper flakes, coriander, mustard seed, turmeric, ginger, salt and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Drain lentils and add to pot.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and Simmer gently for 2 hours.
- Allow to cool, then add lime juice and puree in a blender.
- Heat before serving.