Indonesian Cucumber and Carrot Salad
|2 scallions, finely chopped|
|kosher salt and fresh crack black pepper to taste|
|2 tsp ginger, minced|
|1 and 1/2 tsp turmeric|
|1 tsp red pepper flakes|
|1/3 cup water|
|1/4 cup white vinegar|
|1/4 cup sugar|
This is a sweet and sour salad that brings the wonderful flavor of cucumbers with an Indonesian twist. It is highlighted by carrots, cucumbers, scallions, ginger, and turmeric.
- Peel cucumbers and cut in half lengthwise.
- With a spoon remove seeds.
- Cut cucumbers into baton sized strips (narrow strips)
- Peel and cut carrots into baton sized strips.
- Combine scallions, salt, garlic, ginger, turmeric, red pepper flakes and water.
- Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vinegar and sugar.
- Mix well and pour over cucumber and carrot strips.
- Marinate for several hours or overnight in refrigerator.
- Serve cold.