Rum Raisin Cake
|3/4 cup butter softened|
|1 cup granulated sugar|
|1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar|
|2 and 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour|
|1 tsp salt|
|1 tsp baking soda|
|1 cup sour milk (to make sour milk place 2 tbs of lemon juice in 1 cup of milk. Do not stir. let stand for 10 minutes.)|
|1 cup dark or golden raisins (or 1/2 cup of each)|
|grated rind of 1 orange|
|grated rind of 1 lemon|
|1 cup chopped walnuts|
|3 tbs orange juice|
|3 tbs lemon juice|
|1/4 cup dark rum|
This is a rich moist cake. If you like rum raisin ice cream this cake is for you. Makes 1 cake, serves 12.
- Cream butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar together until fluffy, and then beat eggs in one at a time.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda and add alternately with sour milk.
- Stir in raisins, orange rind, lemon rind, and walnuts and mix well.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 or 10 inch bundt pan.
- Bake in a pre heated 350 degree oven about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for 15 or 20 minutes.
- Turn cake out onto a rimmed serving plate.
- Combine orange juice, lemon juice, rum and 1/2 cup granulated sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Using a skewer, pole some holes in the top of the cake.
- Slowly spoon rum mixture over the cake. Keep spooning up excess mixture from plate onto cake until all is absorbed.