|3 small whole chickens, all skin removed, cut in half|
|4 cups plain yogurt|
|1/2 6 oz can of tomato paste|
|1 tbs minced ginger|
|6 cloves garlic, minced|
|3 bay leaves crumbled|
|2 tsp ground cumin|
|2 crushed dry red peppers|
|1/2 tsp cloves|
|2 tsp cinnamon|
|Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste (4 tsp's of each)|
|1/2 tsp crushed cardamon seeds or ground cardamom|
|1 tsp ground coriander|
|3 limes cut into quarters (for serving)|
In India in the Punjab region Tandoori cooking is an art. Tandoori is not only a way of flavoring meat but a method of cooking vertically in a very hot deep clay oven. Clearly the best way to replicate this type of cooking at home is to cook over very hot charcoal. Never the less this recipe may also be prepared in a hot 450 degree oven.
- Add all of the spices and tomato paste to the yogurt, mix well.
- Skin the chickens, wash and prick all over with a fork.
- Massage the chickens well all over with the yogurt spice mixture. (inside and out)
- Place the chickens in a covered container or plastic zip lock bags.
- Marinate chickens for at least 4 hours, taking care to make sure the marinade covers all parts of the chicken.
- Remove chicken from marinade and let some of the marinade drip off and cook the chicken over very hot charcoal or in a hot 450 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- If cooking over charcoal (recommended) take care not to burn and turn only once during cooking..Don’t be tempted to mess around with it too much.
- When ready to serve cut chicken into serving pieces and give each guest a lime wedge for squeezing over the chicken.