Frosted Lemon Cupcakes
|1/2 cup plus 1 tbs soft margarine|
|Grated peel of 1 lemon|
|1/2 cup sugar|
|2 eggs beaten|
|1/4 cup milk|
|1 and 3/4 cups self rising flour|
|1/2 cup corn starch|
|1/2 tsp baking powder|
|3 tbs water|
|Juice of 1 lemon|
|1/4 cup sugar|
|1 tbs lemon liquor (optional)|
|2 cups powdered sugar, sifted|
|3 tbs lemon juice|
|Strip of lemon peel|
This is a perfect cupcakes recipe for brunch celebration or birthday party.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Cream margarine, lemon peel and sugar in a large bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Stir in the eggs and milk.
- Sift together, flour, cornstarch and baking powder.
- Fold into egg mixture.
- Place paper cupcake cups inside a muffin pan.
- Turn the batter into prepared cupcake pan.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes . Remove cup cakes from pan and cool on rack.
- Bring water to a boil with lemon juice and sugar in a sauce pan.
- Add liquor if using.
- Pour hot syrup slowly over cooled cake, letting it soak well.
- Blend powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth.
- Spread quickly over top of cake so it runs down sides.
- Cut lemon peel into fine strips and sprinkle over cake while frosting is soft.