Melba’s Paper Bag Fried Chicken with Egg Nog Waffles
- 2 breast's, 2 thighs, 2 wings, 2 legs
- 2 tbs paprika
- 2 tbs poultry seasoning
- 3 tbs brown mustard
- 2 tbs garlic powder
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 4 cups canola oil for frying
- For the Egg Nog Waffles:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 and 3/4 cup egg nog
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Melba’s restaurant in Harlem NYC serves some wonderful down home cooking. She has become famous for beating Bobby Flay in a chicken and waffles “Throw Down”. Melba adds a twist to her waffles by using Egg Nog instead of milk. Melba’s is located at 300 West 114th Street in Harlem. If you are ever in NYC this is a must stop dining destination. We are attempting to approximate her recipe.
- Wash chicken and pat dry.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and season well with salt and pepper, 1 tbs of the paprika, 1 tbs of the poultry seasoning, 1 tbs of the garlic powder, and 1 tbs of the fresh parsley.
- Add the mustard and rub in to the chicken along with the seasoning.
- Pour over just enough buttermilk to moisten the chicken. Less is better.
- Refrigerate the chicken for 1 hour.
- In a medium paper bag, add the flour, 1 tbs of paprika, 1 tsp garlic, 1 tbs of garlic powder, 1 tbs parsley 1 tsp kosher salt and 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper, and mix well.
- Add the chicken several pieces at a time and shake vigorously in the bag.
- Remove chicken from bag and tap off excess flour.
- Place enough oil in a large sauce pan or better yet a deep fryer and bring oil up to 350 to 360 degrees.
- Add several pieces of chicken at a time. Fry in batches so oil remains at a constant temperature.
- Fry until chicken is golden and crispy. About 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oil and place on paper towels to drain.
Egg Nog Waffles:
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl cover and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pour batter into a hot waffle iron and cook until golden.
- If you do not have a waffle iron you may just use the batter to make pancakes.