Melba’s Paper Bag Fried Chicken with Egg Nog Waffles
|2 breast's, 2 thighs, 2 wings, 2 legs|
|2 tbs paprika|
|2 tbs poultry seasoning|
|3 tbs brown mustard|
|2 tbs garlic powder|
|2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
|1/2 cup buttermilk|
|2 cups flour|
|4 cups canola oil for frying|
|For the Egg Nog Waffles:|
|1 egg, beaten|
|2 cups flour|
|1 and 3/4 cup egg nog|
|1/2 cup canola oil|
|4 tsp baking powder|
|1/4 tsp salt|
|1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract|
Melba’s restaurant in Harlem NYC serves some wonderful down home cooking. She has become famous for beating Bobby Flay in a chicken and waffles “Throw Down”. Melba adds a twist to her waffles by using Egg Nog instead of milk. Melba’s is located at 300 West 114th Street in Harlem. If you are ever in NYC this is a must stop dining destination. We are attempting to approximate her recipe.
- Wash chicken and pat dry.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and season well with salt and pepper, 1 tbs of the paprika, 1 tbs of the poultry seasoning, 1 tbs of the garlic powder, and 1 tbs of the fresh parsley.
- Add the mustard and rub in to the chicken along with the seasoning.
- Pour over just enough buttermilk to moisten the chicken. Less is better.
- Refrigerate the chicken for 1 hour.
- In a medium paper bag, add the flour, 1 tbs of paprika, 1 tsp garlic, 1 tbs of garlic powder, 1 tbs parsley 1 tsp kosher salt and 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper, and mix well.
- Add the chicken several pieces at a time and shake vigorously in the bag.
- Remove chicken from bag and tap off excess flour.
- Place enough oil in a large sauce pan or better yet a deep fryer and bring oil up to 350 to 360 degrees.
- Add several pieces of chicken at a time. Fry in batches so oil remains at a constant temperature.
- Fry until chicken is golden and crispy. About 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oil and place on paper towels to drain.
Egg Nog Waffles:
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl cover and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pour batter into a hot waffle iron and cook until golden.
- If you do not have a waffle iron you may just use the batter to make pancakes.