Steak with Tomato Red Onion and Watercress Vinaigrette
- 4 vine ripe tomatoes
- 2 lbs of sirloin steak, trimmed of all fat
- 2 bunches of watercress, leaves picked
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- red onion thinly sliced into rings
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
With summer coming on before we know. Ripe farm fresh tomatoes will be abundant. Here is a recipe that you can whip up in a flash. This recipe comes from Executive Chef Joseph Gillard.
- Cook steaks on a stove top grill or over hot charcoal. Cook to an internal temperature of 160 degrees for medium rare. Season with salt and pepper.
- After cooking let steak rest for 10 minutes then cut into 1 and 1/2 inch cubes
- Slice tomatoes, season each slice.
- Slice red onions in to solid rings about 1/8 inch thick, season each slice lightly with salt.
- Place the water cress on a platter. Place the tomatoes and some of the red onion atop the watercress. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine balsamic vinegar with olive oil and stir to incorporate.
- Drizzle salad with vinaigrette.
- Place the steak cubes atop the salad and garnish with some of the sliced red onions.