Provincial Lamb Shanks
|Provincial Lamb Shanks:|
|6 whole lamb shanks|
|3 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|2 tbs flour|
|4 oz brandy|
|1 cup beef or lamb stock|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
|4 cloves garlic|
|1 cup red wine|
|2 sprigs fresh thyme|
|1 tbs fresh parsley|
|2 strips orange peel|
|4 tbs olive oil|
This is a super simple version of Provencal roasted lamb shanks. The meat will be flavorful and will be falling off the bone tender.
- Place the lamb in a shallow dish.
- Mix the marinade ingredients together and pour over the lamb.
- Cover and place the meat in the refrigerator overnight or up to 2 days.
- Remove from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before cooking.
- Remove lamb from marinade and pat dry.
- Reserve the marinade.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan and brown the shanks on all sides.
- Remove the shanks from the pan and place them into a baking dish.
- Using the same saute pan, using medium heat sprinkle in the flour and stir constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for several minutes then add the brandy.
- Bring to a boil and pour over the lamb.
- Add the marinade and stock and enough water to almost cover the shanks.
- Transfer the shanks to a preheated 350 degree oven and cool slowly for 1 and a half to 2 hours, until meat is tender.