Caldo de Res (Beef Shank Stew)
|1 2 lb beef shank, trimmed|
|6 cups of water|
|6 cups of chicken stock|
|4 cups chopped green cabbage, coarsely chopped|
|3 cups zucchini, chopped|
|2 cups onions, halved and sliced|
|2 large potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|1 cup celery, chopped|
|5 carrots, cut int 1 inch pieces|
|5 cloves garlic, crushed and coarsely chopped|
|2 tbs oregano|
|Fresh cilantro, chopped|
Caldo de Res is a Mexican version of beef stew that uses beef shanks along with savory vegetables.
- Place beef shank into a large stock pot.
- Add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a strong simmer, cook for 1 and 1/2 hours or until beef is tender and falling off the bone.
- Cool slightly and remove meat from the bone. Discard the bone.
- Cut the beef into large pieces and set aside.
- While beef shank is cooking, combine the 6 cups of water and 6 cups of chicken stock in a large dutch oven and add all the other ingredients except for the cilantro and lime wedges.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Ladle soup into bowls, and top with the beef.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges for squeezing over soup.