Brisket with Caramelized Onion Sauce
|1 3 to 4 lb brisket|
|1 cup water|
|1 cup dry red wine|
|2/3 cup tomato paste|
|2 tsp dried basil|
|1 tbs dried oregano|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1/4 cup olive oil|
|4 cups sliced onions|
|3 cloves chopped garlic|
This is a classic Jewish recipe that requires long, slow cooking to bring out the wonderful flavors of the meat as well as tenderize the beef.
- Combine water, wine, tomato paste, basil, oregano, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a large oven proof sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add the onions garlic and cook for about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add the onions and garlic to the tomato paste mixture.
- Add meat to a large sauce pan or dutch oven.
- Cook on each side for 3 to 4 minutes using medium high heat until well browned
- Place the onion and tomato paste mixture over the meat and bring to a boil. Cover
- Cook in a preheated 350 degree oven covered for 3 to 4 hours or until meat is tender when tested with a fork.
- Serve topped with onions and juices.