General Tso’s Chicken
|1 lb of skinless, boneless chicken cut into 1/2 inch chunks|
|5 red dried chilies (available in the Latin or Asian section)|
|3 scallions sliced on the diagonal into 1 inch pieces|
|3 eggs beaten|
|1/2 cup cornstarch|
|oil for frying|
|1 and 1/2 tbs rice vinegar|
|2 tbs rice wine|
|3 tbs sugar|
|3 tbs soy sauce|
|2 tsp cornstarch|
This is an authentic recipe for the most popular Chinese Restaurant favorite. It contains crispy chicken along with spicy chilies and a savory sauce.
- In a large bowl combine the cornstarch and beaten eggs to create a batter.
- Add the chicken and coat thoroughly.
- Make the sauce by combining rice vinegar, rice wine, soy sauce sugar and 2 tsps of cornstarch. Mix well and set aside.
- In a wok or deep sauce pan add enough oil to deep fry the chicken pieces.
- Cook the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes until done. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- In a wok or saute pan add 3 tbs of oil from the deep fry using high heat add the hot chilies and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken and cook for another to minutes, stirring constantly. Add the green onions and saute for another 30 seconds
- Add the sauce mixture to the wok and cook stirring until the sauce becomes thick and slightly syrupy.
- Serve over rice.