- 1 lb of jumbo lump crab meat
- 1 lb of lump crab meat
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbs panko bread crumbs
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tbs Old Bay Seasoning
- oil for deep frying
This is an original Baltimore recipe for the much beloved crab cake. It uses jumbo lump and lump crab meat and a dash of panko bread crumbs.
- Add crab meat to a large bowl.
- Gently combine the lump and jumbo lump, taking care not to break up any of the lumps.
- In a another bowl combine all the other ingredients except for the oil, and mix well.
- Pour the dressing over the crab cakes and gently mix well.
- Form crab cakes into four 1/2 balls, about twice the size of a golf ball.
- Cover and refrigerate crab cakes for about an hour.
- Once crab cakes have chilled add enough oil to a large sauce pan or deep fryer. Add enough oil to deep fry crab cakes.
- Heat oil to 360 degrees.
- Fry crab cakes 2 at a time until golden brown. About 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gently remove cakes for oil and drain on paper towels.