Baltimore’s Best Crab Cake
|1 lb of jumbo lump crab meat|
|1 lb of lump crab meat|
|1/4 cup mayonnaise|
|1 egg, beaten|
|1 tbs panko bread crumbs|
|2 tsp Dijon mustard|
|1 tsp dry mustard powder|
|1 tbs Old Bay Seasoning|
|oil for deep frying|
This is an original Baltimore recipe for the much beloved crab cake. It uses jumbo lump and lump crab meat and a dash of panko bread crumbs.
- Add crab meat to a large bowl.
- Gently combine the lump and jumbo lump, taking care not to break up any of the lumps.
- In a another bowl combine all the other ingredients except for the oil, and mix well.
- Pour the dressing over the crab cakes and gently mix well.
- Form crab cakes into four 1/2 balls, about twice the size of a golf ball.
- Cover and refrigerate crab cakes for about an hour.
- Once crab cakes have chilled add enough oil to a large sauce pan or deep fryer. Add enough oil to deep fry crab cakes.
- Heat oil to 360 degrees.
- Fry crab cakes 2 at a time until golden brown. About 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gently remove cakes for oil and drain on paper towels.