Basque Garbure Soup
- 6 cups of water or chicken stock
- 4 chicken thighs with skin
- 1 tbs black pepper corns
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 1 whole lemon peel
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 6 leaves of fresh basil
- 1/2 medium head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 lb lamb shank, bone in
- 1 cup of scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup apple, diced
This is an old style Basque soup that contains chicken and lamb and is flavored with lemon peel and cinnamon.
- In a large stock pot add the water, chicken, salt and pepper.
- Tie together the lemon peel, basil and cinnamon stick and add to the pot.
- Allow mixture to boil using medium heat for about 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and allow to cook for another 2 hours.
- Optional: you may also add some chorizo sausage and some Latin pumpkin if desired.