Basque Garbure Soup
|6 cups of water or chicken stock|
|4 chicken thighs with skin|
|1 tbs black pepper corns|
|1 tbs kosher salt|
|1 whole lemon peel|
|1 stick of cinnamon|
|6 leaves of fresh basil|
|1/2 medium head of cabbage, chopped|
|1 lb lamb shank, bone in|
|1 cup of scallions, chopped|
|2 cloves garlic minced|
|1/4 cup apple, diced|
This is an old style Basque soup that contains chicken and lamb and is flavored with lemon peel and cinnamon.
- In a large stock pot add the water, chicken, salt and pepper.
- Tie together the lemon peel, basil and cinnamon stick and add to the pot.
- Allow mixture to boil using medium heat for about 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and allow to cook for another 2 hours.
- Optional: you may also add some chorizo sausage and some Latin pumpkin if desired.