|2 dozen littleneck clams|
|4 slices of bacon|
|1 cup fresh or dried bread crumbs|
|3 tbs olive oil|
|1 shallot, minced|
|3 tbs butter, melted|
|1 tsp dried oregano|
|2 tsp fresh parsley|
|1 tsp paprika|
|4 cloves garlic, minced|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1lb of rock salt for roasting|
|lemon wedges for serving|
Clams casino is one our favorite recipes. This recipe seasons the clams with bacon, parmesan cheese and other herbs and spices. Traditionally smaller little neck clams are used but we feel that the larger quahog clams work better.
- Open the clams. You may place them in the freezer for 10 minutes or so to make them easier to open. When you open the reserve juice and put through a wire mesh strainer.
- Chop the clams into 1/8 inch dice. Reserve Shells
- Fry the bacon until almost crispy. Chop bacon into small pieces.
- Gently fry the shallot and garlic in the bacon fat for about 3 minutes until soft.
- In a large bowl add the clams, bread crumbs, oregano, shallots, garlic, parsley, paprika and olive oil
- Season with salt and pepper and gently mix well.
- Add equal amounts of the clam mixture back to the clam shells.
- Once all shell are filled top with bacon and drizzle with butter.
- Cover a large baking sheet with about 1 inch of rock salt and place clams atop.
- Place baking sheet under broiler and cook for about 5 minutes until tops browns slightly.
- Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.