Creamed Kale with Onions
|1 and 1/2 pounds of kale, cleaned and stems removed|
|2 lbs of small white onions, peeled|
|1/4 cup shortening|
|3 tbs flour|
|1 and 1/2 cups milk|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
This is wonderful side dish that uses kale instead of the traditional spinach. 6 servings.
- Cook kale in boiling salted water until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Cook onions in boiling salted water until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and combine vegetables
- In a large saute pan add the shortening and flour and make a roux using medium high heat.
- Cook roux for about two minutes then slowly start adding the milk and whisk until a smooth sauce is formed.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the kale and onions to a large casserole dish and pour the sauce over.