Dominican Chivo Picante (stewed Goat)
- 4 lbs of goat meat
- 2 tbs of vinegar
- 1 tbs canola oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbs garlic, crushed
- 2 large bell peppers
- 1 red onion, cut into 4 quarters
- 4 plum tomatoes cut into 4 quarters
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped, seeds included
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- chicken stock as needed
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Serve with black beans and rice
This is a goat meat stew that is eaten quite frequently in the Dominican Republic. The goat meat is flavored with vinegar, oregano, garlic and stewed in a tomato based sauce.
- Trim the goat meat of extra fat and clean the meat with the lemons.
- In a mixing bowl add the meat and add the onion, garlic, hot pepper, oregano and vinegar.
- In a saute pan heat the oil add the goat meat and brown.
- Add 1 cup of water or chicken stock, and simmer using low heat, partially covered for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Add more water or stock if needed.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce for another 15 minutes until you have a thin sauce.