Jamaican Oxtail Stew
|3 lbs oxtails, trimmed of fat|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|5 tbs of flour|
|6 cloves garlic|
|3 medium onions, chopped|
|1 scotch bonnet or Habanero pepper, cut in half|
|4 carrots, sliced|
|2 ribs of celery, chopped|
|2 cups dry red wine|
|8 cups chicken stock|
|2 bay leafs|
There are many versions of oxtail stew in Jamaica. This is what we refer to as a standard version that is always delicious. We added red wine to the standard recipe which give the sauce a deep rich flavor. The meat is super tender.
- Season the oxtails with salt and pepper then dredge in the flour.
- In a large oven proof saute pan, brown the oxtails on all sides.
- Cover the pan and place in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
- In a large stock pot add some oil along with the bay leaf, onions, carrots, garlic and hot pepper saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining flour and stir until incorporated and starts to clump together.
- When the mixture starts to darken add the wine and stock along with the oxtails.
- Make sure oxtails are covered with liquid.
- Cook using medium heat for 2 hours.