Jamaican Oxtail Stew
- 3 lbs oxtails, trimmed of fat
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 5 tbs of flour
- cooking oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet or Habanero pepper, cut in half
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leafs
There are many versions of oxtail stew in Jamaica. This is what we refer to as a standard version that is always delicious. We added red wine to the standard recipe which give the sauce a deep rich flavor. The meat is super tender.
- Season the oxtails with salt and pepper then dredge in the flour.
- In a large oven proof saute pan, brown the oxtails on all sides.
- Cover the pan and place in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
- In a large stock pot add some oil along with the bay leaf, onions, carrots, garlic and hot pepper saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining flour and stir until incorporated and starts to clump together.
- When the mixture starts to darken add the wine and stock along with the oxtails.
- Make sure oxtails are covered with liquid.
- Cook using medium heat for 2 hours.