Lemon Meringue Pie
|1 cup sugar|
|3 tbs corn starch|
|1 and 1/2 cups water|
|3 egg yolks slightly beaten|
|zest from 1 lemon|
|1/4 cup lemon juice|
|1 tbs butter|
|1 (9 inch) pastry shell or homemade pastry shell|
|3 egg whites|
|1/3 cup sugar|
- Stir together 1 cup sugar and cornstarch in a large sauce pan.
- Gradually stir in water until smooth.
- Stir in egg yolks.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest, lemon juice and butter.
- Cool completely then turn into the pastry shell.
- Beat egg whites until foamy in a small bowl. Using a mixer works best.
- Add 1/3 cup of sugar, 1tbs at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread some meringue around edge of filling, first touching crust all around, then fill center.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, until lightly browned.