- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 2 and 3/4 cup flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
This is a super simple preparation for old fashioned gingerbread. It is flavored with molasses, brown sugar, ginger and cinnamon.
- Blend sugar, shortening and eggs.
- Stir in molasses.
- Add combined ingredients alternately with the buttermilk. Beat well.
- In a baking pan spray with non stick spray and sprinkle with a little flour to prevent sticking.
- Pour mixture into the baking pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes our clean.
- Can be eaten plain or served with ice cream or whipped cream.