- 1 lb of large shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 scallions, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 and 1/2 cups water or shrimp stock.
- 1 and 1/4 cups of tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 4 drops of Tabasco sauce
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp thyme
This is classic New Orleans dish. Etoufee means to smother. This dish is flavored with onions, garlic, tomatoes and thyme.
- Saute the green onions, garlic, celery and onions in butter until tender.
- Add the flour and cook and stir till lightly browned.
- Add all of the other ingredients except for the shrimp.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally. About 20 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 5 minutes more or until shrimp are pink.
- Serve over rice.