|1 lb of large shrimp, cleaned and deveined|
|1 medium onion, minced|
|2 scallions, minced|
|4 cloves garlic, minced|
|1/4 cup celery, chopped|
|1/2 cup butter|
|2 tbs flour|
|2 and 1/2 cups water or shrimp stock.|
|1 and 1/4 cups of tomato puree|
|2 bay leaves|
|1 tbs Worcestershire sauce|
|4 drops of Tabasco sauce|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1/2 tsp sugar|
|1 tsp thyme|
This is classic New Orleans dish. Etoufee means to smother. This dish is flavored with onions, garlic, tomatoes and thyme.
- Saute the green onions, garlic, celery and onions in butter until tender.
- Add the flour and cook and stir till lightly browned.
- Add all of the other ingredients except for the shrimp.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally. About 20 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 5 minutes more or until shrimp are pink.
- Serve over rice.