- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 tbs butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- water as needed
- canola oil for frying
This is version of bread that they make in Trinidad to use as sandwich bread. They refer to it as bake but the bread actually is fried, and split open and sandwich ingredients are placed on top. Our favorite version of this bread is made at Richard’s Bake and Shark in Maracas bay Trinidad.
- In a large bowl sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in the butter and add the sugar.
- Mix with a fork until well combined.
- Add enough water to make a dough and knead gently.
- Cut the dough into 4-6 pieces and roll each piece in to a ball.
- Let stand covered for about 15 minutes.
- Flatten the dough balls in a round shape about 1 inch thick.
- In a large skillet, sauce pan or deep fryer heat the oil to about 360 degrees and fry the dough discs until golden.