- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup onion, Finley minced
- 1 tbs butter
- Pinch of nutmeg
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 lb of fresh spinach, blanched (should yield 2 cups of cooked spinach)
Proper creamed spinach is made with heavy cream and a few pinches nutmeg. There is nothing else you need to do the make this classic dish.
- Chop fresh spinach.
- Blanch the spinach in boiling water for 3 minutes and drain, squeezing water from spinach with paper towels or a clean towel.
- Add the butter to the sauce pan using medium heat and add the onions, garlic and butter.
- Saute for 3 minutes until onions and garlic are softened.
- Add the spinach and cream and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Cook down for several minutes.