|8 small apples|
|1 tsp salt|
|3/4 cup packed light brown sugar|
|1 cup butter|
|3/4 cup diced mixed dry fruit|
|3 tbs of honey glazed nuts|
|3 tbs butter|
|2 tsp ground cinnamon|
|2 large eggs, beaten|
|6 whole cloves|
|1 package of puff pastry|
This recipe uses puff pastry which makes the preparation of these apple dumplings quite easy. If desired you may sprinkle these dumplings with cinnamon and powdered sugar.
- Thaw puff pastry overnight in the refrigerator.
- In a bowl mix the dry fruit, nuts, brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Peel the apples and core them with a melon baller but do not go all the way to the bottom.
- Press dried fruit and nut mixture evenly among the apples.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out each sheet of puff pastry and cut each into 4 squares.
- Using a fork poke holes allover the pastry.
- Mix remaining 2 tbs of brown sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon and roll apples in the sugar mixture.
- Place each apple in the center of a dough square.
- Bring the dough up over the top of the apple and press to shape while sealing the edges.
- Place the cloves in the top of the apples to simulate apple stems.
- Beat eggs and brush dumplings all over with egg wash.
- Place dumplings on a baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes or until dumplings are golden,
- Serve with ice cream.